Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 5/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 2nd Feb. Games Helsinki 2019
- 15th-17th February Quantum Game Jam in Helsinki on the with quantum physicists and some quantum technologies. Apply now
- 19.02.2018 Gamification Group is organizing a workshop series on the topics of WEARABLES, BODY and GAMES.
- Application Form
Application Deadline: 30.01.2019
- Application Form
- 1-3 March Dog Jam in Helsinki
- 14 March Game Audio Awards / Oulu
- 18-19th March Game Connection America / San Francisco
- see the Nordic Offer DL feb. 6th
- Helsinki based game start-ups (less than 5 years of age) can apply Helsinki travel grants to GC America participation. There is also a quota of 4 Helsinki companies who can participate free to GC . Everything works by first come first served bases. More info about that from Henrik Keinonen. https://newcohelsinki.fi/fi/meista/
- 18th-22 March Game Developers Conference
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 50% off on conference passes to Nordic Game 2019, 22-24 May in Malmö, Sweden. This counts until midnight, January 3rd.
- CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO THIS GROUP: the first 10 to select this group in the menu and enter this code, NG19PF5MLGG4, will get the Dinner Experience for free!
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Julius Chávez on freelance ääninäyttelijä, jolta taittuu eeppiset spiikit niin suomeksi kuin englanniksi. Portfoliota löytyy soundcloudista Jos on tarvetta, ottakaa rohkeasti yhteyttä!
- Exergaming startup Rehaboo is hiring: Game Developers & Game Artist.
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Nitro Games signed an agreement with Wargaming and secured publishing rights for Runegate Heroes.
- Global Game Jam was success in Finland; Around 1000 people involved, roughly 23% professionals and 24% female and others (than males). 30% of the participants had no prior experience in jamming. See jam game links/gameplay video links in fb- thread! There will be a showcase at February HEL IGDA
- Ex-PlayRaven CEO Lasse Seppänen joins Supercell
- Suomen pelialan opinnäytekilpailu 2019 on avoinna – Finnish Game Studies Thesis Competition is open.
- Neogames is updating the list of Finnish commercial games released globally (and for first time) on 2018. Make sure that yours are listed! Please tell (in comments or email: suvi(AT)neogamesDOTfi) what is missing and help to correct mistakes. Thanks!
- Team Jolly Roger releases Worbital on Steam
- Neogames made a flowchart about what kind of jobs and positions there are in the game industry. Check it out and feel free to share and give feedback too. / Neogames teki kaavion pelialan työtehtävistä ja tarvittavista taidoista. Lue myös Pelikasvattajan käsikirja 2 s. 215 => Suomalainen pelinkehitys ja Millaisia ammattilaisia pelialalla tarvitaan?
- Tampere University released Esports Final Report
- Kim Soares asks if anyone has any experience working with Orange Games?
- Suvi Latva ask recommendation for service providers regarding liability insurance in US.
- Matej Komár ask if anyone has experience with Applause (Crowd-testing company).
- Apply for the best student game competition: It’s time to search for the best Finnish student game in the national game competition Bit1. PreBit preliminaries are held in Helsinki, Tampere, Oulu and Turku, and applications are open between 1.2.-20.3.2019
- Gregory Pellechi: Video Game Sauna 9 – Family and Friends
- Aivolution: Design unique creatures from over 270 Quadrillion possibilities and let them train themselves inside seven different environments, directly on your own mobile device.
- Kotkalainen Kukouri kerää palkintoja maailmalla
- Struggling to write your game and wondering why every comes across as wrong? You need to use exposition as ammunition! It’s the latest episode of The Writing Game
- The HIVE – Turku Game Hub intro
- Cornfox & Brothers Ltd. released Demo Trailer of Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm
- Visionist completed a YouTube influencer campaign with Catland!
- Cardboard Wars update is Coming Soon
- Facebook knowingly duped game-playing kids and their parents out of money
- Jussi Simpanen is releasing Game Boy inspired metroidvania adventure Tiny Dangerous Dungeons on Steam 1st of March.
- FakeFish is looking for testers to play Barotrauma
- Irradiant Core is looking for testers
- Analyst predicts first video games revenue decline since 1995. Pelham Smithers blames China freeze and decreasing interest in Fortnite
- China finally greenlights new Tencent, NetEase games – but Fortnite and PUBG still left waiting. Nation’s leading publishers included in latest batch of approvals
- Rovio Entertainment kicks off 2019 with the worldwide launch of Angry Birds Dream Blast
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.