Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 47/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- November 22th Games UR/UX Finland Meet Up / Helsinki
- November 25th – December 3rd; Gamification Group is organizing a workshop series about wearables, games and extended reality.
Application Form: https://bit.ly/wearxrworkshopApplication Deadline: 20.11.2019Notification of Acceptance: 21.11.2019
- 3rd December Tampere Game Incubator Demo Day 2019 / Tampere
- 13th December, Business Finland event; “Tuleeko sitä rahaa vai ei? Kuinka enkelit oikeasti toimivat ja miten he tekevät päätöksensä?” / Helsinki
- 16th Dec. IGDA Lahti Christmas Gathering / Lahti
- 3rd of March Game Audio Awards 2020
- April 1st Games First / London
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- 10tons is looking for a level designer and a producer (Tampere), more details here.
Games Factory Talents are actively looking for talents to 10 open hot positions in Games in Helsinki and more coming! You all know that Games Factory is gone now, but Games Factory Talents are still there at Arcade5 Maria 01 and our door is always open! They are actively looking for talents for multiple roles in Games industry in Helsinki. Please check the positions and companies and APPLY
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Seriously releases their 3rd game, Best Fiends Stars.
- Oceanhorn – The Adventure Video Game manga will be released bit by bit on their social network.
- Tree Men Games’ Heli 100 gets Season 2, out now!
- Pokemon Main Theme Cover by SNORLAX – A Fan Music Video by Game Music Collective and “I CHOOSE YOU!”
- EGD 031: Bootstrapping a Hyper Casual Startup with Riley Andersen Co-Founder CEO Umami Games
- Ubi’s Dimensions released for iOS and Android.
Licia Prehn is looking for people of colour and LGBT individuals with at least three years of industry experience who would feel comfortable discussing their experiences as a member of a minority group in the industry at a comference. If this is you, please send me her a message.
Marke Kivijärvi wanted to use Play Finland to introduce her project and herselfself – She is a postdoctoral researcher in the field of management and organization studies based in Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics. She has recently started a research project that looks at gender and gender equality in gaming industry.
- W Love Games wish to THANK EVERYONE for such successful event
- Having a Pre-Xmas party at your game company? How about some classic game music played live? Get Tommi Salomaa to play game related music there
- Hipfire Games’ VR title Failspace hit the warp drive button and got launched last Thursday!
- Suomalaisen Remedyn jättipeli Control on ehdolla vuoden peliksi The Game Awards palkintogaalassa.
- “Since Finnish culture is not particularly well-known outside the country’s borders, Remedy Entertainment including pieces of it in Control – Remedy adds a unique flavor to the game, a specific brand of weirdness.”
- Control Tribute | CRITICS CHOICE AWARD | Golden Joystick Awards 2019
- Agile process for foreing work permits is aimed be new advantage of Finland. (article in Finnish) / Sujuvista työluvista Suomen valtti?
- Helsinki XR Center curator Santeri Suominen: – Points of convergence like this are already good places to explore how we can develop technology that enhances human dignity.” Take a look what actually happens at the Helsinki XR Center – you will get a good glimpse of what our startups are doing as well. (only in Finnish) / YLE vieraili meillä viime viikolla! “Helsinki XR Centerin kuraattori Santeri Suominen: – Tällaiset keskittymät ovat jo hyviä paikkoja selvittää, kuinka voimme kehittää ihmisarvoa kohottavaa teknologiaa.” Katso linkin takaa, mitä Helsinki XR Centerin uumenissa tapahtuu, pääset myös kurkistamaan startuppiemme toimintaan!
- Games Now! is live from Theme Park conference, broadcasting Miro Vesterinen’s talk on Remedy’s Control and Vesterinen’s work on the game as an environment artist!
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.