Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 39/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 3D-kulttuurihubi’s consulting sessions / 3D-hubin neuvonnat syksyllä 2019
- 8 October 2019 from 13:00-16:00 AR-markkinointi (Asiantuntija Helsingissä) / AR-marketing (Expert in Helsinki)
- 27th September Xmasjkl – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä. Seminar speakers are:
- Mikko Toivanen, Customer Engineer, Google Finland
- Mark Cochrane, CEO, Lightneer
Elina Arponen , CEO, co-founder, Quicksave
Felicia “Licia” Prehn, Head of Production, Nopia Oy
Luai Mahjneh, Manager, Game Development Partnerships & Jani Eronen Lead Developer, Veikkaus Game Studio
- 28th September IT and GAMES job Fair in Kiev
- September 30th Leadership Day by IGDA FInland / Helsinki
- 30th Sept Unreal Engine Evening by Epic Games
- 1st-2nd Oct Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki.
- 3rd October; IGDA Finland Turku Hub gathering with Kickstarter
- 2nd-4th October Game UX Summit 19 / Lille France
- 8th October; IGDA Finland Helsinki Gathering. Sign up for the demo corner
- 14th October Games UR/UX Finland Meet Up / Helsinki
- 17th October Konsoll 2019 / Bergen Norway
- Oct 26th DevCon 2 Tampere
- 29th-31st October Game Connection Europe 2019 / Paris
- 14th – 17th of November, G-Star Global Gaming Exhibition in Busan / South Korea.
Business Finland will participate in the event with a focus on talent attraction. To find candidates in the Gaming sector with innovative skills and professional background, BF invites Finnish interested in the gaming industry or in business opportunities to join the #FinlandWorks booth or by having Business Finland represent, the open positions at the booth and connect the candidates with the companies. For further information and job postings, please contact Regina Ainla, Talent Boost Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org +358 40 939154
- 15th November W Games Conference 2019
- 16-17th November Aalto university agreed to hosts Theme Park. A digital art rally!
- 19th November; Press Start invites 1,000 game developers to the Cable Factory for a free kick-off to the Slush Week.
- No middleware, no service providers – just games. Attendance is free and by application only. Apply here slush.org/press-start
- Learn from industry veterans, connect with peers, get a glimpse into some up-and-coming games and meet a pool of investors. And let’s not forget the after-party.
- The first speakers and open applications to the event will be released in August.
- applications opened up for live demo showcase at Press Start. This time you can forget your presentations – it’s all about playing live!
- if you are coming to Press Start – Kickoff Event by Slush and want to share it, attend to the fb event on the link.
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Dazzle Rocks has several open positions. Apply now by sending your CV and portfolio to email@example.com or ask us questions from the same address
- An Unity Game Developer with multiple years of experience in C# and Unity in mobile game development
- A Backend Engineer with broad and multiple years of experience with AWS, Elixir and Erlang as well as knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases
- An Art Director with 2D, 3D, and prototyping experience and game development interest
- An User Acquisition Manager that has good knowledge of mobile acquisition channels and is prepared for building the UA pipeline
- Redhill Games is looking for an experienced Quality Assurance Analyst.
- Nuori Kirkko hakee tyyppiä, joka pystyisi auttamaan bugien korjaamisessa. Urakka kestäisi 75-95 tuntia. Jos sinulla on näyttöä Unityn ja C#-osaamisesta, niin laita hakemus tulemaan.
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? Take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- FakeFish’ Barotrauma has been chosen as the Best Survival Game in Tencent GWB Awards!
- Platonic Partnership‘s King of Peasants is nominated at Game Connection Europe for:- Best hardcore game
– Best quality of art
– Best story / storytelling
– Best upcoming game
- Tampere now has a new Game Hub!
- Koukoi Games launches Crashing Season Run in Google Play & Apple Appstoreand News piece by Pocket Gamer
- Mekiwis’ Cave Digger is now released on Oculus Quest, and the first finnish game to achieve the platform featuring.
- Jonas Klar asks if anyone in Play Finland would know or know someone who has collected or seen data about non-paying and paying users and the reviews they have given to a game on the app store.. Anyone know any resources?
- Do you have a small space (15 – 20m2) available for rent? 4Good Games is currently running a Business Finland funded Tempo-project at 4Good Games and desperately need a space we could finish the project in. Anything works – if you or your company has a room available and you could host us (3 ppl) for a few months, we’d be eternally grateful! Any tips of available, affordable places are also welcome! PM Ilmari Hakkola!
- Elite Game Develpers Podcast:
- Mindhaven, Helsinki based indie studio designated to making high quality, story-driven games. Sky Beneath Gameplay Teaser 2019
- demo is currently playable at this event
- Cryptic Cargo is at Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki next week and this means free tryouts of our first game The Outbreak! The game times go on first come first serve basis so if you want to try out truly portable escape game concept, be fast.
- The last call of the Creative Europe funding for game development is open. If you are looking for a grant between EUR 10 000 and EUR 150 000 covering 50% of the costs of a narrative story driven game, this might be something interesting for you. Before starting to write an application, please pay special attention to checking if your company meets the eligibility criteria.
- Switching to Unreal Engine, Cornfox & Bros. is moving mobile gaming forward with Oceanhorn 2
- Elite Game Develpers Podcast: Defining a Strong Mission and Principles with Martial Valéry Co-Founder and COO Oh BiBi
- IGDA Finland is comprised of 13 hubs that host over 150 events each year. Learn more about this amazing IGDA Chapter in their spotlight.
- (in Finnish and for subscribers only) Talouselämä selvitti, miten 20 suurimmalla peliyrityksellä menee – Kovien kasvajien ohella myös 4 kutistujaa ja 3 miljoonatappioita tekevää pelitaloa
- MindSeize alpha demo on Steam. The games Kickstarter campaign ends soon.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.