Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 16/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
@ Learning Centre/Streamed, 15-17 EET
“Why Godot Right Now?”
Ariel Manzur, Godot Engine
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
Games Now! Jam
- 15th May PlayStack-Meet the publisher: As part of next months Igda event with, PlayStack arranges 15.5 a Meet the Publisher / Funder event at their office for selected companies / teams. Please fill the form by 9.5! They will also hold a bit bigger demo corner at the Igda event where you will also have a chance to meet them! PlayStack Ceo and Coo from London will be present in both events!
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 50% off on conference passes to Nordic Game 2019, 22-24 May in Malmö, Sweden. This counts until midnight, January 3rd.
- CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO THIS GROUP: the first 10 to select this group in the menu and enter this code, NG19PF5MLGG4, will get the Dinner Experience for free!
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
- 4th June Helsinki Startup Day
- 18-20th June Finnish Game Day 2019 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The signup for Finnish studios here
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Finnish Game Awards 2019
- The Nominees of Finnish Game Awards 2019 are released in here
- The winners are:
- Applied Game Award 2018: Lights On! / Turku Game Lab & Humak
- The Best Creative Achievement of the Year 2018: The Thief of Thieves / Rival Games
- Comeback of the Year 2018: Wreckfest / Bugbear
- Power Player of the Year: Petri Hyökyranta / Rovio
- Big Screen Game of the Year 2018: Tesla v. Lovecraft / 10tons
- Mobile Game 2018 (Small Screen Game of the Year 2018): Brawl Stars / Supercell
- Main Prize: The 2018 Finnish Game of the Year 2018: Brawl Stars / Supercell
- The event was also streamed.
- Finnish nominees in Nordic Game Awards released:
- Brawl Stars by Supercell (FI)
- Claybook by Second Order (FI)
- Moomin Match & Explore by Snowfall Ltd. (FI)
The annual Nordic Game Awards will take place on Thursday, 23 May at the Nordic Game 2019 conference, in Malmö, Sweden.
- Frogmind’s new game Rumble Stars is now out globally on Appstore and GooglePlay!
Check it out and join the over 1 200 000 pre-registered users.
- Headfish Entertainment; Löydä & Opi: Eläimet! Opetuspeli lapsille suomeksi
Awards & Competions;
- The Indie Games Showcase from Google Play
Their international competition for indie game developers from Europe, Japan & South Korea. Deadline for entries is May 6, 2019.
- FakeFish Barotrauma comes with various in-game editors. They are the backbone of their development process, and also user-generated content – a fitting next step for their open development model where development versions of the game have been free and where modders will continue to have access to our source code even after release. Any other similar projects out there?
- ORICO interactive Play Void of Heroes – Mech mobile PVP (Team DM and Battle Royale)
- Ctrl Alt Ninja just announced release date and start of pre-orders for Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest! Check out a brand new trailer. You can do the pre-order directly from them and get a 10% discount
- If your company is located outside Uusimaa Region, please keep in mind that you can apply support from ELY for participating in games industry trade fairs.
- Hey Play Finland! Help out a fellow indie. Veli-Matti Törmänen is creating his next indie title in the true indie spirit! Check the IndieGoGo Campain
- Frogmind on going from a team of two working on premium games to the new F2P Rumble Stars
- Pelialan journalistisemmalta kulmalta kuuluu retrouutisia, mukana myös näkökulmia suomalaisen pelaamisen historiaan. Retro Rewind 1/2019 saapuu tilaajille toukokuussa.
- Kolibri Studiosin tekeillä olevan Tiny Bots fysiikkapelin uusi botti tulokas: The Executor.
- Clusterloop is reflecting on their past mistakes and started working on something new and exiting.
- Overstep Gameplay online. Feel free to give feedback
- Games Factory Talents hosted theur first IT and Games Job Fair Helsinki 2019 recruitment event in partnership with Neogames, Business Finland and the city of Helsinki. Have a look and join their next event!
- Kimble Games kehittää mobiilipelien ohella myös VR-pelejä
- PocketGamer.biz caught up with Dodreams CEO Erik Pöntiskoski following the fourth anniversary of its car combat Drive Ahead
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.