Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 25-28/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 18-19th July NeurotechGaming 2020 event: Connecting your brain to video games
- 23-25th July Pocket Gamer LaunchPad
- 4-6thAugust GDC Organizers Plan New 3-Day GDC Summer Event For August
- 25-29 August; Gamescom / Cologne. Gamescom will under no circumstances take place on site in Cologne this year. Digital event will be organized. => Devcom
- Neogames is considering having virtual Play Finland expo booth in devcom digital 17.- 30.8.and at the moment we are looking for potential companies to join us as virtual exhibitors The price of virtual exhibitor company package is roughly €1000. If you want to have more info, please mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 29-30th September Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki (ONLINE)
- The discount code is: PlayFinland20
- 10th October Games Job Fair online
- 15th October Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Webinars & Streams & Videos
Since all the game industry events have been postponed, cancelled or moved to online due to Corona virus epidemic, EGDF in co-operation with European country organizations has collected a list of online (and postponed) events.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Traplight is hiring Senior Player Data Engineer.
- Critical Force is looking for Game Programmer and Live-Ops Programmer
- 10th Muse is hiring an editorial manager and front-end developer
- Iceflake Studios Oy is hiring a game designer
- Next Games has several open positions
- Koukoi Games is recruiting: back-end engineer, game programmer(s), artist(s) (2D/3D or both), and more.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Traplight (finally!) releases Battle Legion is now globally available on App Store and Google Play
- Superplus Games releases Hills of Steel 2 live to Google Play and App Store!
- Rehaboo! Active ExerciseGame is ready & out – playable on our Game Totems (installed in facilities) and online on laptops using the integrated camera and NVIDIA cloud for AI motion sensing. Games are targeted to Hospitals for rehabilitatio, Carehomes for activation, Worklplaces for prevention and activation. Sign up at https://rehaboo.com – free for 14 days
- Lightneer released a Good Slice in partnership with Voodoo and is now in Top 5 games in US! iOS & Android
- Zsuzsa James is sharing few interesting/recent funding & publishing options that she has pointed;“BIG NEWS ALERT: Coronavirus has dramatically changed the funding landscape for entrepreneurs, who need advice and funding from strategic sources more than ever. This is why a group of us gaming industry executives, angels and VCs came together to launch the Fast Forward Games initiative, with the hope to enable a faster and more efficient fundraising process for gaming start-ups. The idea behind ffwd.games is simple; entrepreneurs e-mail email@example.com information about their studios, fund-raising requirements and a pitch-deck. We will then provide: (a) Feedback on the pitch, offering advice on how best to present your funding proposition (and to whom), (b) Fast-track intros into major VCs, with whom we have a close relationship and a pre-agreed process to review your pitch, (c) Angel investments from the group, who will make a decision within 48 hours of a zoom call, all done remotely, without meeting in person. Tough times require bold action, and I am proud to be part of a group that came together so quickly to offer not just advice but concrete support & capital to amazing entrepreneurs. Ping Zsuzsa James directly, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.”
—-Shanti Bergel (Managing Director, Transcend Fund). Transcend Fund is an early stage venture capital firm that partners with some of the most ambitious and talented founders in the game industry to collaboratively build the future of digital entertainment.—-Epic Games just launched a publishing label with a 50/50 revshare deal with devs and directly from Epic—-Humble Bundle has two options for funding commercial games at Humble: 1) pure funding and light launch marketing, where the devs self-publish and 2) they fund+publish.
- You can now claim tax deductions for working at home during coronavirus
- Fast Forward Games (ffwd.games) is an initiative that brings together the top gaming CEOs, VCs and Angel Investors, offering their time, expertise, network and experience to accelerate the funding process for gaming start-ups. Due to COVID-19, the funding climate has changed, resulting a more challenging environment for many start-up studios looking to raise much-needed capital. We are here to help gaming entrepreneurs navigate these unprecedented times.
- Neogames has conducted the government support together in one page
- Kalla Gameworks released the teaser trailer for their upcoming game, a narrative sci-fi grand strategy title called The Pegasus Expedition!
- The city of Helsinki is one of the global leaders in supporting and building an inclusive games culture. Their latest national Non-toxic – initiative aims to find ways to make both the local game culture and support actions for the games culture safe and free from hate speech and any kind of harassment. Now they would your help on fact finding. If you have a child or young person, who plays digital games, living in your apartment, please reply to this survey helping them to identify the areas where help and support is needed the most.
- Finnish Army Simulator -tekee asepalveluksesta mustan huumorin pelikokemuksen
- Are you looking for skilled digital or game industry professionals for Your team? Through Sustainable Digi & Game Ecosystem networks, you can find professionals from the grassroots directly through our peer-to-peer networks.
- Game Music Collective goes TLOU2!
- Vitali Kirpu is sharing some videos regarding the upcoming game called Ragnorium
- MIELI ry:n Osaava vanhemmuus -projektissa tehdään live-action roolipeliä. Jotta pelistä saadaan mahdollisimman hauska ja samalla tehokas työkalu tunne- ja vanhemmuustaitojen kehittämiseen, pyydetään apua testaamiseen. Testaamalla peliä ja antamalla palautetta voit voittaa myös leffaliput. Osallistumalla pelin kehittämiseen olet mukana tukemassa osaavaa vanhemmuutta ja lapsiperheiden arkea.
- The most meanigful factors that have impact on getting emplyed at game industry. (article only in Finnish) Jouko Loijas on Pelimerkit-tutkimuksessa koonnut ansiokkaasti merkittävimpiä tekijöitä, jotka vaikuttavat työllistymiseen pelialalla
- Platonic Partnership announced next project; Good Mourning
- EGD Pdcast;nBoard Meetings For Gaming Startups (part 1)
- Tarja Porkka-Kontturi interviewed producer Neha Joshi, who works at Ubisoft RedLynx in Helsinki “COVID19 has changed the way we work, also in the game industry” (Story only in Finnish)
- Helsinki Games Capital is officially 1 year old. By the first bithday, they have achieved 30 events, 1000 attendees, 20 startups have been helped, 34 members.
- Kayo Games next simulation is a browser-based 3D strategy and time management game about #coronavirus and #ICU . It is still under development, but you can already explore it here.
- Hologram Monster World War 2 themed asset package now available also on Unreal Engine Marketplace!
- Unity Learn Premium is now available to everyone at no cost.
- Happy first birthday for Tampere Game Hub! Here’s what next: a new game incubator, events, jobs and more.
- Talouselämä listed again the 20 biggest Finnish game studios by revenue. This year we focused to Rovio and Remedy as cases. (article only in Finnish & for subscribers). / Talouselämän perinteinen Peliselvitys on julkaistu! 20 suurinta peliyhtiötä tekivät yhteensä 1 999 miljoonan euron liikevaihdon. Yhteispotti kasvoi edellisvuoden 1 985 miljoonasta eurosta. (juttu on vain tilaajille)
- Making Of: How Frogmind’s Rumble Hockey was turned around in 9 months.
- The FDA just approved the first prescription video game — it’s for kids with ADHD
- As the Steam Game Festival is live now, so is the first ever Puck Buddies live stream! A demo of Puck Buddies will be available until Monday, so grab a couple of gamepads with you to your Midsummer hideout & have some pucking fun either locally or via Remote Play Together!
- Forbidden Studios releasing screenshots from their new game
- Big Ear Games – Play with Music sequencer hit 1,000,000 notes count, that their creative users entered while composing tunes
- “Long Term Game – How to Build a Video Games Company” book came out in March 2020. Now the audiobook version is released and you can find that on Audible and other major online audiobook stores. The first chapter of the book is available for free.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.