Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 29-31/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 27th August IGDA Finland Satakunta and Turku hug Gathering
- 27th August Game On / Helsinki
- 3D-kulttuurihubi’s consulting sessions / 3D-hubin neuvonnat syksyllä 2019
- 27 August 2019 from 13:00-16:00 Luovien alojen ja pelialan yhteishankkeet, rahoituspaja (Asiantuntijat Helsingissä) / Common projects between creative and gaming field (Experts in Helsinki)
- 10 September 2019 from 13:00-16:00 Teknologia hankintana (Asiantuntijat Helsingissä) / Technology as an acquisition (Experts in Helsinki)
- 24 September 2019 from 13:00-16:00 Palvelujen pelillistäminen (Asiantuntija Turussa) / Services gamification (Expert in Turku)
- 8 October 2019 from 13:00-16:00 AR-markkinointi (Asiantuntija Helsingissä) / AR-marketing (Expert in Helsinki)
- 10 September IGDA Helsinki Gathering w/ Aalto ENT & Game Makers of Finland
- 17th September: Games UR/UX Finland Meet Up
- 28th September IT and GAMES job Fair in Kiev
- September 30th Leadership Day by IGDA FInland / Helsinki
- 1st-2nd Oct Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki.
- 17th October Konsoll 2019 / Bergen Norway
- Oct 26th DevCon 2 Tampere
- 29th-31st October Game Connection Europe 2019 / Paris
- 14th-15th November YSÄRI GAME JAM! if you are interested ping Licia Prehn
- 15th November W Games Conference 2019
- 19th November; Press Start invites 1,000 game developers to the Cable Factory for a free kick-off to the Slush Week.
- No middleware, no service providers – just games. Attendance is free and by application only. Apply here slush.org/press-start
- Learn from industry veterans, connect with peers, get a glimpse into some up-and-coming games and meet a pool of investors. And let’s not forget the after-party.
- The first speakers and open applications to the event will be released in August.
- You will also have an opportunity to submit your game to be showcased on stage.
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- 4Good Games is looking for a designer for their first title, Planet Patrol. The gig is 2 – 4 months, fulltime, and consists of working their high-level design down to a working puzzlematch core & metagame. The focus is in exploring mechanics of linking real-world charity campaigns to the gameplay in a transparent and engaging way
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? Take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Gaming VC firm Play Ventures closes first fund at $40m
- Zynga/Small Giant Games are #1 for PocketGamer’s top50 Mobile Game Makers 2019 ranking announced at Gamescom
- Dodreams welcomes new management team members: Minwoo Lee as Head of Product and Teemu Rautiainen as CFO (Sept. 2-).
- Finnish Game industy is not fallen on particularly tough times! Last year, Kuuhubb chief strategist Tero Kuittinen said that the decline was a sign of something wrong with the Finnish industry – that it had become an emblem of mobile games industry stagnation. it’s fair to say a few studios have struggled, but there are plenty of signs that the Finnish games industry is picking itself back up – not that it had fallen on particularly tough times.
Mikko Sivulainen is asking for HockeyApp alternatives (image related). Having both iOS/Android support is a plus. Needs to have an API to manage users, SSO login, and simple to integrate into jenkins builds.
- Secret Exit:
- Would _you_ like to be an NPC? It doesn’t hurt much.
- For high-in-fiber graphics, why not go all vertex-colors? Their handy open-source Maya toolkit has taken its first baby steps on Blender 2.8. Also includes Unity HDRP and LWRP example vertex-color-to-PBR shader graphs.
- Join the official FINNISH GAME DEV Dicord channel welcoming everyone to join!
- The Name of the Game documentary film is now available in a nostalgic DVD format (720 x 576!!)!
- Oku Game is #2 in Top Games and #1 trending on Google Play in Finland right now!
- Elite Game Developers podcast: The Serial Entrepreneur Story with Elina Arponen Co-Founder and CEO of Quicksave
- Control Will Be a Wild Supernatural Ride. Here’s the Exclusive Trailer for Its Launch.
- Iron Danger: latest devblog takes a look at latest water improvements in the game.
- Jaakko Kemppainen: Ujosta nörtistä pelitaiteen lähettilääksi
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.