Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 24/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- June 8-12 PG Connects Digital #2. Interested to speak at there?
- June 16th Scoped: User Acquisition in Cloud Gaming. (Online event). Tickets HERE
- June 16th Virtually Live Summer meetup @altspaceVR
- 26 June INDIGO Online 2020
- 4-6thAugust GDC Organizers Plan New 3-Day GDC Summer Event For August
- 25-29 August; Gamescom / Cologne. Gamescom will under no circumstances take place on site in Cologne this year. Digital event will be organized.
- 29-30th September Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki
- 15th October Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Webinars & Streams & Videos
Since all the game industry events have been postponed, cancelled or moved to online due to Corona virus epidemic, EGDF in co-operation with European country organizations has collected a list of online (and postponed) events.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Double Star is looking for Senior Artist
- Mainframe Industries is looking for a Cloud Architect
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Housemarque celebrates their 25 birthday and announced their new Playstation 5 title; Returnal
- Neogames is updating the Finnish game developers company list on our site. Please check that yours is there and if not, please let me know by commenting here ✏️ or email to me; suviATneogamesFi. Please note that you need to have Y-tunnus and registered to Finland .
- Random Potion released; The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes on STEAM
- Ahlman students releases Nuclear Wipeout in STEAM
- Zsuzsa James is sharing few interesting/recent funding & publishing options that she has pointed;“BIG NEWS ALERT: Coronavirus has dramatically changed the funding landscape for entrepreneurs, who need advice and funding from strategic sources more than ever. This is why a group of us gaming industry executives, angels and VCs came together to launch the Fast Forward Games initiative, with the hope to enable a faster and more efficient fundraising process for gaming start-ups. The idea behind ffwd.games is simple; entrepreneurs e-mail email@example.com information about their studios, fund-raising requirements and a pitch-deck. We will then provide: (a) Feedback on the pitch, offering advice on how best to present your funding proposition (and to whom), (b) Fast-track intros into major VCs, with whom we have a close relationship and a pre-agreed process to review your pitch, (c) Angel investments from the group, who will make a decision within 48 hours of a zoom call, all done remotely, without meeting in person. Tough times require bold action, and I am proud to be part of a group that came together so quickly to offer not just advice but concrete support & capital to amazing entrepreneurs. Ping Zsuzsa James directly, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.”
—-Shanti Bergel (Managing Director, Transcend Fund). Transcend Fund is an early stage venture capital firm that partners with some of the most ambitious and talented founders in the game industry to collaboratively build the future of digital entertainment.—-Epic Games just launched a publishing label with a 50/50 revshare deal with devs and directly from Epic—-Humble Bundle has two options for funding commercial games at Humble: 1) pure funding and light launch marketing, where the devs self-publish and 2) they fund+publish.
- You can now claim tax deductions for working at home during coronavirus
- Fast Forward Games (ffwd.games) is an initiative that brings together the top gaming CEOs, VCs and Angel Investors, offering their time, expertise, network and experience to accelerate the funding process for gaming start-ups. Due to COVID-19, the funding climate has changed, resulting a more challenging environment for many start-up studios looking to raise much-needed capital. We are here to help gaming entrepreneurs navigate these unprecedented times.
- Neogames has conducted the government support together in one page
- Kim Soares asks about experiences regarding Huawei Store and it’s market share
- Licia Prehn raised a topic about diversity.
- Pascal Debroek / Px hub blog; User Acquisition and Player Experience in the same sentence?
- 5th Helsinki Games Capital‘s Member’s Interview is published! This week was introduced Digital Renaissance Foundation.
- Varjo and @BoeingSpace make history – giving #Starliner astronauts a way to train for spaceflight in #virtualreality. With Varjo’s human-eye resolution VR powered by @unrealengine, astronauts will train for full missions to @Space_Station and back home: varjo.com/starliner
- Sana: Interactive Stories; ” When we say equality and representation matter to us, it’s not just corporate speak.Our Senior Editor is an amazing Black woman who is the main reason why the curated stories in our app are as wonderful and high-quality as they are. Our latest story, “Dark Hunger Blue,” is an Afrofuturistic story by a Black author.
Creating a space where marginalized voices can share their interactive fiction, is better for everyone.”
- if you are looking recruitment, trainees etc or cooperation partnering or what ever servises to buy check here Digi & Game Center
- Lasse Liljedahl from Iceflake Studios Oy wrote an article in Washington Post.
- EGD 062: Kristian Segerstrale, Super Evil Megacorp
- Polkadot Studios files bancruptcy – the news in Finnish. / Naisille suunnattua kännykkäpeliä kehittänyt suomalainen startup konkurssiin – Myös Peter Vesterbacka rahoitti peliä, jossa hahmoja puetaan brändivaatteisiin
- Theme Park. A digital art rally is recorded stream. The steam recording will be available for 4 to 7 days.
- Game Music Collective released their new Live Music Video! One of the biggest hits and definitely one of the most beautiful video game tunes of all time – To Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X, performed LIVE by Game Music Collective Orchestra!
- Bugbyte‘s Space Haven got featured at STEAM store.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.