Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 23/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 5th June Premium PC Games Sales Projections webinar
- June 8-12 PG Connects Digital #2. Interested to speak at there?
- 4-6thAugust GDC Organizers Plan New 3-Day GDC Summer Event For August
- 25-29 August; Gamescom / Cologne. Gamescom will under no circumstances take place on site in Cologne this year. Digital event will be organized.
- 29-30th September Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki
- 15th October Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Webinars & Streams & Videos
Since all the game industry events have been postponed, cancelled or moved to online due to Corona virus epidemic, EGDF in co-operation with European country organizations has collected a list of online (and postponed) events.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Nitro Games is looking for talented Senior Programmers
- Critical Force is looking for Live-Ops Engineer
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Seriously reaches EUR 111million turnover / (Article only in Finnish) Ötökkäpeliyhtiö lensi jo 111 miljoonan liikevaihtoon – Israelilaisten ostama Seriously jatkoi kovaa kasvua
- Rovio Entertainment has acquired Darkfire Games – Copenhagen based mobile games studio
- Zsuzsa James is sharing few interesting/recent funding & publishing options that she has pointed;“BIG NEWS ALERT: Coronavirus has dramatically changed the funding landscape for entrepreneurs, who need advice and funding from strategic sources more than ever. This is why a group of us gaming industry executives, angels and VCs came together to launch the Fast Forward Games initiative, with the hope to enable a faster and more efficient fundraising process for gaming start-ups. The idea behind ffwd.games is simple; entrepreneurs e-mail email@example.com information about their studios, fund-raising requirements and a pitch-deck. We will then provide: (a) Feedback on the pitch, offering advice on how best to present your funding proposition (and to whom), (b) Fast-track intros into major VCs, with whom we have a close relationship and a pre-agreed process to review your pitch, (c) Angel investments from the group, who will make a decision within 48 hours of a zoom call, all done remotely, without meeting in person. Tough times require bold action, and I am proud to be part of a group that came together so quickly to offer not just advice but concrete support & capital to amazing entrepreneurs. Ping Zsuzsa James directly, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.”
—-Shanti Bergel (Managing Director, Transcend Fund). Transcend Fund is an early stage venture capital firm that partners with some of the most ambitious and talented founders in the game industry to collaboratively build the future of digital entertainment.—-Epic Games just launched a publishing label with a 50/50 revshare deal with devs and directly from Epic—-Humble Bundle has two options for funding commercial games at Humble: 1) pure funding and light launch marketing, where the devs self-publish and 2) they fund+publish.
- You can now claim tax deductions for working at home during coronavirus
- Fast Forward Games (ffwd.games) is an initiative that brings together the top gaming CEOs, VCs and Angel Investors, offering their time, expertise, network and experience to accelerate the funding process for gaming start-ups. Due to COVID-19, the funding climate has changed, resulting a more challenging environment for many start-up studios looking to raise much-needed capital. We are here to help gaming entrepreneurs navigate these unprecedented times.
- Neogames has conducted the government support together in one page
- Company of Crime: Demo and Streams – Steam Game festival.
- Px hub blog: 5 persistent misconceptions on Player Support that might prove harmful to the Player Experience.
- Karoliina Korppoo (famous from Cities: Skylines) new company releases interactive romantic stories (Article only in Finnish) Cities: Skylinesistä tutun Karoliina Korppoon uusi yritys julkaisee interaktiivisia romanttisia tarinoita
- Quicksave puts Balloon Boy into soft launch
- Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm Golden Edition will launch as a free update on Friday
- Supercell founders Ilkka Paananen and Mikko Kodisoja takes their charity foundation to global level and opens community centre, where community game is developped. (Article only in Finnish) Supercellin perustajat Ilkka Paananen ja Mikko Kodisoja vie hyväntekeväisyyssäätiönsä maailmalle – ”Päätimme, että nostamme tavoitetta”Ilkka Paanasen ja Mikko Kodisojan perustama säätiö avasi Mellunmäkeen oman toimintatalon, jossa kehitetään uutta yhteisöpeliä.
- Helsinki Games Capital Members’ interview: Juuso Turtiainen from Lexia attorneys
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.