Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 16/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
6th May AT 15:00
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
- 7th May: Yle Beta Day – Teemana “Internet of Humans” / Helsinki
- 8th May Bit1 Game Awards Open Day 2019 / Tampere, Puistotorni
Make your Bit1 2019 Registration. This registration is for the second day of the event. Please submit your information to register for the event. Check the more detailed schedule with speaker information for the Open Day
- 14th May IGDA Finland Helsinki Hub May Seminar + Gathering with PlayStack
- 15th May PlayStack-Meet the publisher: As part of next months Igda event with, PlayStack arranges 15.5 a Meet the Publisher / Funder event at their office for selected companies / teams. Please fill the form by 9.5! They will also hold a bit bigger demo corner at the Igda event where you will also have a chance to meet them! PlayStack Ceo and Coo from London will be present in both events!
- 20th-21st May China Game Day Helsinki
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
- 4th June Helsinki Startup Day
- 18-20th June Finnish Game Day 2019 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The signup for Finnish studios here
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Interested in teaching Game Dev? Business College Helsinki has an open position for you! Despite the job description if you do have experience releasing games, game design or strong skills in game art and animation you might be the one even if you don’t have solid programming skills. If you are interested, message Miikka Merikanto!
- Games Factory Talents is now inviting Finnish game studios to join their next recruitment event on June 15th in St.Petersburg. This is a great opportunity to meet, interview and hire some of the top tech talents from Russia!
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
Awards & Competions;
- The Indie Games Showcase from Google Play
Their international competition for indie game developers from Europe, Japan & South Korea. Deadline for entries is May 6, 2019.
- Tero Sarkkinen asks if anyone interested to develop in-car games / entertainment for Daimler?
- Quick question from Nordic chapters of IGDA as well as people planning to attend Nordic Game Conference next month, we wish to see how many of you would like to have IGDA Mentor Cafe available for conference participants?
- Sisu Game Ventures finally has a website
- Direlight Ltd released Grimvalor Beta for Android
- Two games from Catland – “The Spy Who Shrunk Me” for VR is out now and “Taphouse 2” for PC and VR this summer
- Epic Games introduces $100 Million Epic MegaGrants initiative, investing in devs, enterprise, education, and beyond
- Kimble Games developing Wheelie King VR
- Big Ear Games – Play with Darude
- Publisher Market is back on its fifth consecutive edition at Nordic Game! If you are a developer attending our wild conference, and are looking to meet with a string of world renowned publishers, you can submit your game on the link . We will select the best 50 entries in! if you are a publisher, and want to purchase a seat, contact Teddy Florea directly.
- Raju kilpailu hyydytti monen unelmat peliyrittäjyydestä – Uusia pelistudioita syntyi vain neljännes huippuvuodesta
- Extensive Control coverage in the latest issue of Edge and more about Remedy’s transformation the past few years.
- Brawl Stars takes home both Small Screen Game of the Year 2018 and The 2018 Finnish Game of the Year at this year’s ceremony.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.