Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 14/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
@ Learning Centre/Streamed, 15-17 EET
“Why Godot Right Now?”
Ariel Manzur, Godot Engine
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
Games Now! Jam
- 6th April IT and Games Job Fair Helsinki 2019
- 9th April IGDA Helsinki April Seminar+Gathering w/ Game Makers of Finland
- April 11-12th; GameDev Days 2019 / Tallinn
- 16th April SparkUp Turku chat and discuss gaming business and what could be done together to boost the industry in Turku region to the next level.
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 50% off on conference passes to Nordic Game 2019, 22-24 May in Malmö, Sweden. This counts until midnight, January 3rd.
- CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO THIS GROUP: the first 10 to select this group in the menu and enter this code, NG19PF5MLGG4, will get the Dinner Experience for free!
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
- 4th June Helsinki Startup Day
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Open jobs & Recruitment
Lunarbyte arranges trainee program for passionate young game programmers who want the extra push to get to the game industry. The application period is open until 28.4.! Please share this if you know someone interested!
- Looking for job:
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
Awards & Competions;
- Submit your game by 8th April to Yonderplay 2019 – Sowcase at Nordic Game Conference
- The Indie Games Showcase from Google Play
Their international competition for indie game developers from Europe, Japan & South Korea. Deadline for entries is May 6, 2019.
- Gregory Pellechi shared The latest episode of The Writing Game is all about how character and world backstories affect game design, expectations of players and more.
- Epic wants to leave the Epic Games Store exclusivity decision up to devs
- Critical Force’s new CEO spoke with PocketGamer.biz about his vision for the Critical Ops developer.
- Rovion pelit jopa sadan miljoonan ihmisen ulottuville Japanissa
- Crazy Town and We+ joins forces at Kaapeli, Helsinki!
- Supercell’s Brawl Stars is doing very well in South Korea.
- If you want to know what happens in the academic side of Game Industry in Finland then you should at least check this the Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies: The University of Tampere Game Research Lab (COMS/TRIM), University of Jyväskylä Contemporary Culture Studies and University of Turku/Pori unit Digital Culture teams were awarded by Academy of Finland the Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies (2018-2025 CoE program).
- Unelma orpokodista, johtamisoppeja hevostallilta, raikasta puhetta työstä ja läsnäolon taidosta. Miksi sorrumme kiirepuhuntaan ja mitä on huoneliha?
- As a part of the BGI-project, the City of Helsinki has now produced an action plan for supporting the game industry.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.